HOW TO: Configure Anti-Theft Protection in ESET Smart Security Version 6
The information in this article refers to a previous version of ESET. It is recommended that you run the most current version of ESET. Please see our tech article How to update your ESET Program to the Latest Version for assistance with updating your program. The information in the article below is provided as a convenience to those who may still have questions about the older version of the program.
Description: Anti-Theft is a new feature in ESET Smart Security. If your device is ever lost or stolen, ESET Anti-Theft lets you monitor device usage and track your missing device using GPS localization, helping you retrieve your device and protect personal data. This article will show you how to enable this feature.
- Either open ESET Smart Security from the menu or locate the icon in the system tray as shown. You may need to click on the show hidden icons to see the icon.
- Right click and select Open ESET Smart Security 6.
- Once ESET opens, click on Enable ESET Anti-Theft.
- If you already have a free ESET account, log in here and click Sign In. This would not be the same username and password used to activate ESET.
- If you do not have an account click on Create New Account.
- Fill in the name of your computer and click Next.
- Click on Create new account online.
- Fill out the form and click on Create Account.
- Go to my.eset.com and log in using the username and password just created. This can be done from any computer.
- Once logged in you will see your computer, this is also where you would add additional computers. Click on View Details.
- This screen will tell you of any security problems on the selected computer. The example above is telling us we have no password on the user account.
- It is also suggesting that we create a Phantom Account.
- A Phantom Account is a fake account. Once reported missing your real accounts will be hidden and the computer will automatically log into the phantom account. Once in the phantom account data will be collected and sent to your my.eset.com account including device location and webcam screenshots.
- Click on Solve Issue to create Phantom Account.
- From the Phantom Account issue screen, give the phantom account a name then click on Create Phantom account.
- If your computer is missing, you can now log in to my.eset.com from any computer and click on My computer is missing.
- Below is an example of the data collected for you once My computer is missing is pressed.
- This includes device location information, and both screen shots of what the computer is displaying and webcam screenshots.