Troubleshooting: Windows 8 CD/DVD drive missing
Description: What to do when the CD/DVD drive is missing in Windows 8.
Sometimes you will find that Windows 8 does not display your CD/DVD drive that is known to be working and connected to your computer. A quick edit to your Windows registry can correct this problem.
- Press the windows key and X key at the same time.
- In the menu click Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste this command into the command prompt:
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0×00000001
- Press enter on the keyboard to run the command.
- Once finished, exit the command prompt and reboot the computer.
- Your drive should now show up.