How to remove ESET using the ESET Removal Tool
Description: This article describes the steps to download and run the ESET removal tool and completely remove any trace of ESET on a computer. This should be done if one is having issues with ESET and would like to thoroughly expunge it from the computer before reinstalling.
- Boot the computer into Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold the Windows key on the keyboard and press R.
- Type msconfig in the run box that appears and click OK.
- Select the Boot tab at the top.
- Within boot options, check Safe Boot located at the lower left hand corner and select Network.
- Click OK to close the window.
- Click Restart to restart the computer into Safe Mode with Networking.
- Go to ESET KB 2289, download and then run the ESET Uninstaller application.
- When the program opens, there will be a warning indicating the software uninstalls antivirus programs in a non-standard way. Press the Y key on the keyboard to continue.
- When the application states Enter sequence number of AV product to uninstall and press ENTER, enter a number under Installed AV products and press Enter.
- When asked for confirmation, type Y and press Enter.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for any other items listed under Installed AV products.
- Once all items are removed, exit the application.
- Boot back into Windows normally by using the same steps listed in step 1, but uncheck Safe Boot.