How to fix Windows Updates for Windows 7
Description: This guide will show you the steps to take when an update from Windows Updates fails to install or fails repeatedly.
First try these Microsoft Fix-Its:
If those don't solve the issue try the following:
- Press the Windows button + R to bring up the RUN box. Or click Start and type in RUN in the search box.
- Type in services.msc and press OK.
- Scroll down to Windows Update.
- Right-click and go to Stop.
- Now open up Computer by clicking Start and Computer.
- Navigate to C:\Windows by double clicking on Local Disc C:\ and then Windows.
- Scroll down until you see the folder SoftwareDistribution.
- Rename the folder to something else: IE: SoftwareDistribution-OLD.
- Now restart your computer and try Windows Update again.