How to fix Windows Updates for Windows 8
Description: This guide will show you the steps necessary to troubleshoot and resolve errors when Windows 8 is failing to install an update from Windows Update.
First try the Microsoft Fix-It: Windows Update Troubleshooter KB 2714434
If that doesn't solve the issue try the following:
- Right click on the task bar and go to Task Manager.
- Click on More Details at the bottom left and then click on the Services tab on the right.
- Scroll down to wuauserv or Windows Update.
- Right-click and go to Stop.
- Now open up Computer by clicking Start and Computer.
- Navigate to C:\Windows by double clicking on Local Disc C:\ and then Windows.
- Scroll down until you see the folder SoftwareDistribution.
- Rename the folder to something else: IE: SoftwareDistribution-OLD.
- Now restart your computer and try Windows Update again.