HOW TO: Create a Microsoft Account for Windows 8
A Microsoft Account is used by Microsoft for many things, including most recently as a way to log in to Windows 8 and also to manage your files and settings on Windows 8. If you already have a Hotmail address, an Xbox Live account, a OneDrive account, or other related accounts, then you ALREADY HAVE a Microsoft Account and do not need to create an additional one. The steps below will show you what to do to set up a Microsoft Account for the first time.
- Navigate to http://login.live.com. Click Sign up now.
- Fill out all requested information.
- Once submitted, an activation email will be sent to the email provided, click the Verify box.
- Once verified, the account can now be used to login to Windows 8. To do this: Access the Charms Bar by moving the cursor into the top right corner. Click Settings.
- Click Change PC Settings.
- In the Users tab, click Connect to a Microsoft Account.
- Select the settings desired to link with the Microsoft account, and then click Next.
- Enter the Email used to register the Microsoft Account. Click Next.
- Enter the Password associated with your Microsoft Account. Click Next.
- Enter any additional security information Windows asks for. Click Next.
- Click Finish. The computer is now associated with the specified Microsoft Account.