HOW TO: Resolve error 2878 when installing ESET Version 5
Description: A common error message in ESET, 2878, is due to conflicting anti-virus programs on the machines. Most new computers come with "trial versions" of Norton Internet Security. Follow these steps to completely remove Norton from the machine and successfully install ESET
- Go to the Start Menu » Control Panel. Once in control panel, click
Uninstall a program (or if view is set to Small Icons, click
Programs and Features)
- Locate Norton in this list. Double click on it to remove it.
- Follow through the Norton uninstall process. Once completed, click
Restart Now to restart the computer.
- Once the computer boots back up, go to the Start Menu again and type
Create a restore point and hit enter. In the window that appears, click the
Create button. Give the restore point a name, then click
Create. This will allow System Restore to revert to this point if any errors occur.
- Now, go to the Start Menu one more time and type
regedit and hit enter. Click Yes to the administrator prompt that appears. This will bring up the registry.
- Within the registry, type CTRL-F which will bring up the Find menu. In this menu, type
Norton and hit Enter.
- While searching, a box labeled Searching the registry...Please wait will appear. When it finds a key, this box will disappear. When this happens, hit
DEL on the keyboard. Choose Yes in the confirmation window to completely remove the key.
- Hit F3 (or Find Next) to allow the search function to continue. Again, when the search box disappears, hit the
DEL key. Repeat this process until a box labeled
Finished searching the registry appears.
- Restart the computer one more time. When it boots back up, install ESET as normal.