How to use the Windows Resource and Performance Monitor to diagnose errors in Windows 7
Description: Using the Windows System Diagnostic Report will help pinpoint the exact cause of most errors occurring within Windows.
- Go to the Start Menu and type perfmon /report and press Enter.
- This will open Resource and Performance Monitor. It will begin to collect data for 60 seconds after opening. In this time, try to re-create any issues that have arisen, though, if unsuccessful, do not worry.
- Once completed, the report will display any problems it has found, as well as information about each individual error. This information includes:
- Symptom: This is the code given to the error message by Windows.
- Cause: This explains the reason for the error.
- Details: This provides more specific information about the error.
- Resolution: A set of common fixes.
- Related: Help from Microsoft directly concerning the issue.