How to change the Default Directory of your Documents in Windows 7
Description: Multiple hard drives are becoming commonplace in today’s PCs. To change the default save location to a different drive, follow these steps.
- Click the Start button, type C:\Users and then press Enter.
- Double click on the user name that is currently logged in.
- Right click on the My Documents folder and then left click on Properties.
- Click on the Location tab and then click the Move button.
- Click on Computer on the left side of the window and then double click on the second hard drive. By default, the second hard drive is D:, though it may vary depending on the configuration. In this demonstration, it is E:
- Create a My Documents folder on the secondary drive. To create a new folder, click the New Folder button near the top of the window.
- When finished, click the Select Folder button at the bottom and then click Apply in the next window.
- There will be a prompt asking if the files should be moved to the new location, click Yes.
- After this process is completed, all the current data, as well as any future data, will be saved to the secondary drive.