IP Address Troubleshooting - Verifying a Correct IP Address
Being unable to connect to the internet and getting a local only access on a computer can frequently be due to invalid IP addresses or the computer being unable to attain a Default Gateway. This guide will walk through checking the IP address the computer is getting and troubleshooting the different issues caused by different IP addresses.
- Click the Start button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen and type CMD in the Search Programs and Files field and press Enter.
- In the command prompt window that appears, type IPCONFIG and press Enter.
- The two most important pieces of information displayed will be the IPv4 address and Default Gateway.
- If the IPv4 Address is 0.0.0.0, contact your Internet Service Provider or check out our Router Troubleshooting article here.
- If the IPv4 Address begins with 169.254.xxx.xxx, check out our article on IP Address Troubleshooting here.
- If the IPv4 Address begins with 192.168.xxx.xxx, verify the default gateway.