How to change arrangement of Desktop Icons in OS X
Description: OS X allows the user to change the arrangement of desktop icons based on various attributes. This article describes how this is done.
- First, the Finder must be clicked to bring up the proper menus
- Within the View menu is a function called Show View Options
- Click on the Arrange by drop down list.
- A drop down list will appear providing several options for desktop icon arrangement. Any one of them may be selected.
- None - Icons are arranged based on how the user placed them on the desktop
- Snap to Grid - Icons "snap" to an invisible grid making them easier to line up
- Name - Sorted alphabetically by name
- Date Modified - Sorted numerically by the date the file was last modified
- Date Created - Sorted numerically by the date the file was created
- Size - Sorted numerically by File Size
- Kind - Sorted alphabetically by the type of file it is
- Label - Sorted alphabetically by label name
- Pressing the circle in the upper left hand corner will make the
View Options disappear.
For more assistance contact Technical Support here.