HOW TO: Disable Startup Items in Windows 7
How to Disable Startup Items in Windows 7
If your new Windows 7 system seems to be running slow, you may consider removing a few unnecessary programs from starting up with the system. This how-to guide will walk you through disabling startup items in Windows 7.
- Click Start and type "run" (without the quotes) in the field titled Search Programs and Files and click the program titled Run.
- Type "msconfig" (without the quotes) in the run box and click OK.
- The System Configuration Utility will then appear. Click the Startup tab across the top.
- A list of all programs that start with your computer will then be displayed. Remove the check in the box to the left of the program name to disable it from starting up when you log into Windows. Do this for as many programs as necessary and click OK. Certain programs should remain active at all times such as your antivirus software and Microsoft Operating system files.
- Click Restart Now to complete the process.