HOW TO: Boot in Safe Mode
This how-to guide will walk you through how to boot your computer into safe mode using either a basic, or an advanced option.
- Turn off the computer.
- Turn the computer back on then immediately begin tapping the F8 key across the top row of keys on the keyboard repeatedly.
- The display should then show the screen below. Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press the Enter key.
- When prompted log into your normal account. If you are using Windows XP, click Yes on the window that appears upon login. Your computer is now operating in safe mode.
- Click Start.
- Windows XP users click Run, type “msconfig” (without the quotes) in the box and click OK. Windows Vista and Windows 7 users type “msconfig” (without the quotes) in the bar directly above the Start button and press Enter.
- Click the Boot or boot.ini tab in the System Configuration Utility Window.
- Click the check box to the left of Safe Boot.
- Click OK.
- Select Restart and your computer should then boot into safe mode.