Windows 8 Hot Keys
Description: This article will show you some useful keyboard shortcuts that are used in Windows 8.
Windows 8 has a large number of hot keys and keyboard shortcuts. Here are some of the most useful:
- Windows key Shows the new Start screen (Metro).
- Win + type keyword Instant application search (same as in Windows 7).
- Win + D Standard Windows desktop. Also minimizes/restores all open windows in desktop mode.
- Win + F Instant search for files.
- Win + I Settings sidebar (control panel, network, volume, brightness, notifications, and more).
- Win + J Switches focus between snapped Metro apps.
- Win + Page Up / Down Moves full-screen Metro app to secondary monitor.
- Win + Left / Right arrow Moves and snaps desktop applications in that direction, or to a different monitor.
- Win + Tab Switches between open applications. Similar to using the left-upper hot corner with a mouse.
- Win + P Shows multi-monitor options, also useful for connecting an external monitor or projector.
- Win + Q Shows all installed apps
- Win + L Locks Windows.
- Win + W Instant search for settings
- Win + X Power user shortcut menu (Device Manager, Control Panel, Command Prompt, Power Options, etc.).
- Win + Z Shows App Bar in Metro applications.
- Win + . (period) Snaps the current Metro app to the right side of the screen. Twice will snap it to the left.
- Win + . (period) + Shift Snaps the current Metro app to the left side of the screen