How to run a Virus Scan in Safe Mode with ESET Version 5
The information in this article refers to a previous version of ESET. It is recommended that you run the most current version of ESET. Please see our tech article How to update your ESET Program to the Latest Version for assistance with updating your program. The information in the article below is provided as a convenience to those who may still have questions about the older version of the program.
Description: This guide will show you how to run an ESET NOD32 or ESET Smart Security scan in Safe Mode. This is useful when you have a virus that ESET is not able to remove in Windows normal mode. It is recommended that you print this guide as the computer will be running in safe mode and the guide will not be accessible through the Internet.
- Print this document and keep it available as it will be needed and it will not be accessible via the internet for the duration of this guide.
- Turn the computer all the way off. Do not restart the computer, leave it powered off.
- Locate the F8 key along the top row of the keyboard.
- Power on the computer and immediately start tapping the F8 key repeatedly about once per second. The Windows Advanced Boot Options menu will be displayed.
- On the Windows Advanced Boot Options menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Safe Mode" and press Enter.
- Note: The mouse will not work on this screen.